Re: Hugh Daniel has passed away

2013-06-06 12:13:59
Paul Wouters <paul(_at_)cypherpunks(_dot_)ca> writes:

Hugh Daniel passed away on June 3rd after what appears to have been a
heart attack.

I met Hugh many years ago when we were working on our overlay system, and had problems integrating it with FreeS/WAN's IPsec implementation.

And yes, I too remember the LED lights. He correlated wavelength with "clue" - the shorter the wavelength, the higher you stood in his view, AFAIR.

--

He visited my office about 12 years ago - unannounced, as was more typical than not. After talking at length, he invited me to dinner with a group of his friends in a nearby town. I mentioned that I was 'closing' on a house in that same town, and would show him after dinner.

He rolled up just under a large tree and parked on the street. I asked him why he picked that location, and he said it was because his friend was three lots up the street, and this was the closest vacant spot.

He had parked directly at my new house.

Through him I met a very interesting sci-fi writer, Renfair frequenter, and food historian that evening, among others, at a restaurant I walk past nearly every day.

His contributions to my six degrees was sincerely appreciated and will be missed.

Joe