Re: Call for Review of draft-iab-rfc4441rev-04.txt, "The IEEE 802 / IETF Relationship"

2013-06-06 13:30:25
On 6/6/2013 8:12 AM, Stephen Farrell wrote:
-  3.3.1.4 says: Since it is
    possible to participate in IETF without attending meetings, or even
    joining a mailing list, IETF WG chairs will provide the information
    to anyone who requests it.  However, since IEEE 802 work-in-progress
    is copyrighted, incorporating material into IETF documents or posting
    the username/password on mailing lists or websites is not permitted.

That's a pretty bogus setup. I would think that if IEEE do want to
share some or all drafts with us they could much more easily create
a web page when those drafts are available without access control.
Or we could if they didn't mind. (Or I could do it if there's no "we"
that wants to:-) Asking IETF WG chairs to deal with passwords is a
bit silly. I'm not objecting to this, but am suggesting someone ask
IEEE if they'd like to consider the silliness here and fix it.

Hi, Stephen,

It's probably worth pointing out to the community that both IETF and IEEE 802 leadership have been looking at previous revisions and asking "if they do that, should we do the same?"

The most recent case I can think of was that IETF published a list of its liaison managers, while IEEE 802 did not - but review discussions prompted iEEE 802 to start publishing a list of its liaison managers as well. There have been others.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if either organization has run out of bogosity to fix, of course ;-)

Spencer