Re: IETF Diversity

2013-06-19 10:59:25

On 6/19/13 9:36 AM, Brian Haberman wrote:
On 6/19/13 9:26 AM, Brian Haberman wrote:

My point, poorly expressed though it was, is that it's not
productive for us all to wait from word on high before taking
positive action. Members of the IESG, IAB, IOAC, or any other
"official" body are just folks who are temporarily serving
the community in a defined role. If we want to change the
culture of our community with respect to diversity, it's
better for us to work to encourage, nurture, and mentor
particular individuals.

To help facilitate the mentoring aspect, there will be a call
soon for volunteers to act as mentors for newcomers (starting
with IETF 87). Once the web page for the mentoring program with
all the information is up, you should be seeing a call for
mentors.

We hope that this type of program will aid in assisting newer
members of the IETF community become more involved and
productive in our activities.

That's great!

However, why do we need to wait for a program? Can't we simply be
human, introduce ourselves to new participants, reach out to
individual contributors about becoming document shepherds,
document editors, WG secretaries, WG chairs, BoF chairs, etc.?
That's what I've been doing, and so far the results have been
positive.

I would highly encourage people taking that initiative and
appreciate folks who do that of their own accord.

I'm not saying that's the only way to make progress, but I see it
as very much worth the effort.

Absolutely agree.  The goal of this experimental mentoring program
is to provide people who may not be sure *how* to be mentors a
framework to work within.

That sounds quite helpful! I'm not completely sure how to be a mentor,
either, I'm just doing the best I can given what I know so far...

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/