Re: IETF Diversity

2013-06-19 10:31:53
On 6/19/13 9:26 AM, Brian Haberman wrote:

My point, poorly expressed though it was, is that it's not productive
for us all to wait from word on high before taking positive action.
Members of the IESG, IAB, IOAC, or any other "official" body are just
folks who are temporarily serving the community in a defined role. If we
want to change the culture of our community with respect to diversity,
it's better for us to work to encourage, nurture, and mentor particular
individuals.

To help facilitate the mentoring aspect, there will be a call soon for
volunteers to act as mentors for newcomers (starting with IETF 87). Once
the web page for the mentoring program with all the information is up,
you should be seeing a call for mentors.

We hope that this type of program will aid in assisting newer members of
the IETF community become more involved and productive in our activities.

That's great!

However, why do we need to wait for a program? Can't we simply be human,
introduce ourselves to new participants, reach out to individual
contributors about becoming document shepherds, document editors, WG
secretaries, WG chairs, BoF chairs, etc.? That's what I've been doing,
and so far the results have been positive.

I'm not saying that's the only way to make progress, but I see it as
very much worth the effort.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre