Re: IETF Diversity

2013-06-19 07:35:48
Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

There is a real problem with accountability and transparency in the
IETF constitution which was designed by a bunch of old boys to
maintain control in their own hands. Peter is a member of the IETF
establishment so of course he sees no structural problem.

PSA's been an AD, yes, but:

What I suggested is that the status quo is going to lead to
applications area work moving to forums outside the IETF. The Jabber
folk have already done this with the XMPP foundation.

He's also one of the Jabber folk, and indeed Executive Director of the
XSF.

So given these two statements are in conflict, there must be a problem
with them.

I think it's in the implication that the XMPP folk came and looked at
the IETF and decided there was some structural problem. I don't think
that's the case. You'd need to ask someone who was there when it
formed, like Peter, but I suspect it really mutated gradually from an
umbrella organization for open-source software projects, and by the
time anyone realised it was an SDO, then the IETF was already
committed to SIP/SIMPLE (to the point of giving them their own area),
and was in addition happy to cite XEPs and use the technology
operationally.

Dave.

Sent with [inky: <http://inky.com?kme=signature>]