Re: IETF Diversity vs. White Male ??

2013-06-19 19:14:46

On Jun 19, 2013, at 3:57 PM, Aaron Yi DING
<yding(_at_)cs(_dot_)helsinki(_dot_)fi> wrote:

Well, if the dominant ones later being replaced by other groups, do we need
to revamp again? What will be the end?

I'm told that white babies are now a minority of the population in the US.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2341066/Whites-soon-minority-American-children-age-5.html

It's all about political correctness. It is not politically correct to comment
on women unless you are one and hate men. It is not politically correct to
comment on whatever-they're-called-this-week, black, negro, afro-americans, or
whatever. It is not politically correct to comment on hispanics, or to note
that they are not a race; they might be a culture, but for the most part they
are people who grew up outside spain but speak - or whose parents speak - some
derivative of spanish as a native language. Or Asians, for that matter. But it
is absolutely politically correct to make racist and sexist remarks - the same
remarks that would draw outrage and umbrage if made about any of a list of
other groups - about people who happen to be caucasian and male.

A conversation from the 1993 movie Gettysburg comes to mind.

Colonel Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain: Tell me something, Buster... What do you
think of Negroes?
Sergeant 'Buster' Kilrain: Well, if you mean the race, I don't really know.
This is not a thing to be ashamed of. The thing is, you cannot judge a race.
Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time.

I would replace "man" or "men" with "person" or "people" in the observation,
and would agree with it. There are a lot of pea-wits in the world. Some of them
are white males. Many are not.