Re: IETF Diversity

2013-06-19 19:10:35
On 6/19/13 2:47 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
On 06/19/2013 11:31 AM, Melinda Shore wrote:
Even in fields in which the overwhelming majority of
practitioners, the majority of people in leadership or
management positions are men.

So again, it's not at all clear how that relates to the IETF (given that we don't fall into the category of "the overwhelming majority of practitioners [are women]."

I think the point was that if organizations that have a majority of women in the ranks have trouble getting women into leadership roles (where one would think, ceterus paribus, women would have an easier time moving up as against other organizations), then an organization that has a majority male population won't fare much better unless there's some reason to believe it is interestingly different.

Institutional biases in organizations are not uncommon. We almost certainly have *some* brand of it here, whether it's Americo-centrism (cf. SM's comments about Selma and Dan's comments about baseball), or one of gender. I'd be (happily) shocked if there were some reason to believe that we're different than other organizations when it comes to gender, but I haven't seen much to convince me we're all that different. Certainly we should look for evidence of the existence and nature of any biases that exist in our institutional practices, but given how prevalent such biases are elsewhere, I'm not uncomfortable presuming prima facia that we do have some and doing some things that might (again, surprisingly to me) turn out unnecessary.

I look at women like Leslie Daigle, Allison Mankin, Margaret Wasserman, Lynn St. Amour, Joyce Reynolds ... those are just off the top of my head; certainly not my intention to slight anyone ... all of whom have now, or have had significant leadership roles, and made lasting impacts on the IETF both in its work product and culture.

As the saying goes, the plural of "anecdote" is not "data", but it might be interesting to discuss with each of the people you noted their experiences getting into leadership and their experiences in it. (However, see the last paragraph of this message below.)

Can we (and should we) do better? Absolutely. I would love to see more participation by different groups, nationalities, genders, etc. And I have a vested interest here. I have a daughter who is smart as a whip, and when it comes time for her to find a job I want to be sure that every door is open to her.

Agree wholeheartedly.

But I also think it's possible for us to agree that we have room to improve without constantly banging the drum that we have a deep-seated institutional bias, especially when that point is far from proven.

Even if such a bias does not exist, it can come across a bit self-serving to complain about the banging drum. So someone has said there is an institutional bias against the (minority and not in leadership) group they are in and for the (majority and in leadership) group you are in... No use in getting insulted or complaining about the words used to express that perception. Looking to make sure that there is no bias and addressing any biases you find is a good use of time and energy.

... and while we're on that topic, what are you doing to help?

That is truly an unfortunate line of argument, and I hope
you don't use it very often.

It's not a "line of argument," it's a legitimate question.

It did sound a bit confrontational in the original message. The MIME Intonation Protocol being what it is, this can sometimes be an unintended problem. I will take full blame for the lack of deployment of that protocol.

Others have described their actions to help improve the situation, which hopefully still others can latch onto and emulate. You bring a unique perspective to the table, so I'm hoping that you can describe what you're doing to help solve the problem so that others can emulate your example.

That's a reasonable request. People should in general describe experiences and volunteer whatever advice they can for the community. However, do keep in mind that some things folks might do (especially folks in the minority population) are not things that they necessarily want to talk about it public. For example, if some folks were helping women off-list to deal with incidents of harassment or sexist behavior, or simply poor treatment that seemed different than how males were treated, they might not feel comfortable talking about that publicly because it would bring up some thorny issues that are difficult to discuss in private, let alone in public. And there are certainly other things of less serious import that are still dicey to lay open in public. So it's probably at least a bit pushy to individualize a message saying "what are you doing to help?".

pr

Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478