Re: IETF Diversity

2013-06-19 13:11:59
On 6/19/13 10:03 AM, Doug Barton wrote:
Short version, if everyone does what they can to encourage diverse
participation, we won't need "legislation" to fix the problem.

I'd like it if that were true but I don't think it is.  For example,
the majority of academic librarians are women (one demographic
survey I saw said 80%) but the majority of academic library directors
are men (again, ~80%).  I'd like to think that good intentions and
happy thoughts will provide a durable solution to the problem but
I'm not convinced.  I am convinced, however, that because of our
decision-making processes we would not be able to do "legislation,"
in any event.

Melinda