Re: IETF Diversity

2013-06-19 13:04:00
On 06/19/2013 09:45 AM, Ted Lemon wrote:
On Jun 19, 2013, at 11:22 AM, Melinda Shore
<melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
Don't know about that one.  In the US, at least, legal mandates
have typically led social change, at least when it comes to civil
rights, etc.

Yup.   First the Civil Rights act, then Selma...  ;)

Yes, this rather succinctly makes the point that I was starting to think about how to write out much more verbosely. Without the grassroots movements pushing for attitudes to change the legislation never would have been passed. Melinda is correct that the legislation does affect attitudes after it comes into being, but it's a cycle, not a strict cause/effect chain.

Short version, if everyone does what they can to encourage diverse participation, we won't need "legislation" to fix the problem.

Doug (whatever that is)