Re: IETF Diversity

On 6/19/13 10:00 AM, Melinda Shore wrote:
Why do you believe that my opinions are unexamined? I have been
thinking and reading about social, cultural, and personal change
for a very long time.

You made an assertion that's at least a little ahistorical,

That depends on which historians you've been reading.

Peter, it's a fact in the US and Canada that court cases preceded
civil rights protections which preceded social change.  This has been
true for racial minorities, women, glbt folk, etc.  I expect that
there are historians who'd argue otherwise but allow me to suggest
that if so they are very, very far out of the mainstream.

It seems to me that without some sort of institutional change it's
likely that for a few cycles nomcoms will try to be "sensitive" to
the question of the underrepresentation of women and then it will
be back to business as usual, because that's the way these things
go.  It's unusual for people to voluntarily surrender their
privilege.

Melinda