Re: IETF Diversity

2013-06-19 22:56:46
On 06/19/2013 05:09 PM, Pete Resnick wrote:
On 6/19/13 2:47 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
On 06/19/2013 11:31 AM, Melinda Shore wrote:
Even in fields in which the overwhelming majority of
practitioners, the majority of people in leadership or
management positions are men.

So again, it's not at all clear how that relates to the IETF (given
that we don't fall into the category of "the overwhelming majority of
practitioners [are women]."

I think the point was that if organizations that have a majority of
women in the ranks have trouble getting women into leadership roles
(where one would think, ceterus paribus, women would have an easier time
moving up as against other organizations), then an organization that has
a majority male population won't fare much better unless there's some
reason to believe it is interestingly different.

Yes, Pete, I understand what the point was supposed to be. The point *I* am making is that unless you have a solid understanding of the 2 populations the comparison is not only at best meaningless, it is almost certainly actively harmful because it leads to a short-circuit of the very path to understanding that is required to actually address the problem. I could count all of the unfounded assumptions you're making just in the paragraph above for you, but you're a smart guy, I'm sure you can take that on as a side project if you're interested.

Institutional biases in organizations are not uncommon. We almost
certainly have *some* brand of it here, whether it's Americo-centrism
(cf. SM's comments about Selma and Dan's comments about baseball),

So again, there is absolutely zero evidence that those kinds of comments are a form of institutional bias. The fact that people use cultural references that they are familiar with IS evidence that they are human, but you cannot extrapolate from Ted's comment (directed at Melinda who Ted had a reasonable belief would be familiar with it) that Ted is de facto biased against non-Americans. In fact, one of the things I enjoy about working in the I* realm is being exposed to other cultures, and learning a bit about their culture, idioms, humor, etc. And $DEITY forbid we actually achieve some of that diversity stuff, how are you going to react to even MORE people bringing their own cultural experience to bear in the IETF?!? The nerve of them!

or
one of gender. I'd be (happily) shocked if there were some reason to
believe that we're different than other organizations when it comes to
gender,

For the Nth time now, let me be clear that I do not think we have zero problems in this area. But "we can improve" is different from "we have a widespread and deep-seated problem with institutional bias." More about the importance of the distinction below.

but I haven't seen much to convince me we're all that different.

... remember what you said to me about anecdotes vs. data? :)

Certainly we should look for evidence of the existence and nature of any
biases that exist in our institutional practices, but given how
prevalent such biases are elsewhere, I'm not uncomfortable presuming
prima facia that we do have some and doing some things that might
(again, surprisingly to me) turn out unnecessary.

I find this perspective highly disturbing, and potentially very dangerous.

I look at women like Leslie Daigle, Allison Mankin, Margaret
Wasserman, Lynn St. Amour, Joyce Reynolds ... those are just off the
top of my head; certainly not my intention to slight anyone ... all of
whom have now, or have had significant leadership roles, and made
lasting impacts on the IETF both in its work product and culture.

As the saying goes, the plural of "anecdote" is not "data", but it might
be interesting to discuss with each of the people you noted their
experiences getting into leadership and their experiences in it.

Assuming they (and other similar folks) are willing, I agree. Just to be clear, I was not volunteering anyone for anything. :)

Can we (and should we) do better? Absolutely. I would love to see more
participation by different groups, nationalities, genders, etc. And I
have a vested interest here. I have a daughter who is smart as a whip,
and when it comes time for her to find a job I want to be sure that
every door is open to her.

Agree wholeheartedly.

But I also think it's possible for us to agree that we have room to
improve without constantly banging the drum that we have a deep-seated
institutional bias, especially when that point is far from proven.

Even if such a bias does not exist, it can come across a bit
self-serving to complain about the banging drum.

Agreed, which is why I have waited so long to speak up.

So someone has said
there is an institutional bias against the (minority and not in
leadership) group they are in and for the (majority and in leadership)
group you are in... No use in getting insulted or complaining about the
words used to express that perception.

Well I'm sorry to say, I actually DO find it insulting. There has been a near-constant undercurrent from one person particularly, with ripples vibrating through a few other ponds, that the IETF is biased generally; and against women particularly. As someone who is part of the organization, and worse yet one of those privileged (by the standards of many) white (gasp!) males (oh my!) I fall into the category of those against whom this accusation is being made, and I don't appreciate it. And while I try very hard not to get offended on behalf of other people, I personally think the (baseless, to date) accusation is insulting to the many people I know in the IETF of all genders, nationalities, etc. in whom I have not only never seen a trace of bias, but in fact have often seen quite the opposite. Furthermore I think that blanket statements of the sort "women cannot get ahead in the I* without institutional help" is more than a little insulting to those women who have, in fact, been very successful leaders already, in every sense of the word.

But I do agree with you about one thing, my hurt feelings (however noble they may, or may not be) are essentially meaningless. What I AM concerned about though is what the larger negative effect of the drum-beating is likely to be. If you want to assume that there is bias, go right ahead. I don't really care what your motivation is for encouraging outreach and equal opportunity, as long as we're working on the same goals.

Looking to make sure that there
is no bias and addressing any biases you find is a good use of time and
energy.

I agree with the latter, I do not agree with the former. If there are real examples of bias that are known, they definitely should be addressed. If the organization believes that we have a problem, and wants to spend precious resources on a proper study to answer that question, well, Ok then. However we've already demonstrated that people are very bad at extrapolating useful conclusions from anecdotes, I don't think encouraging people to do more of that is a useful exercise.

... and it's not for nothing that a couple of people much smarter than me have posted some preliminary data analysis that seems to demonstrate that the believed bias problem does not exist. I find it interesting that their work has been ignored and/or shouted down since it doesn't fit the narrative.

... and while we're on that topic, what are you doing to help?

That is truly an unfortunate line of argument, and I hope
you don't use it very often.

It's not a "line of argument," it's a legitimate question.

It did sound a bit confrontational in the original message. The MIME
Intonation Protocol being what it is, this can sometimes be an
unintended problem. I will take full blame for the lack of deployment of
that protocol.

... and I will take full blame for not making my purpose more complete. I thought it was obvious from context, but I can see how it could have been interpreted differently.

Others have described their actions to help improve the situation,
which hopefully still others can latch onto and emulate. You bring a
unique perspective to the table, so I'm hoping that you can describe
what you're doing to help solve the problem so that others can emulate
your example.

That's a reasonable request. People should in general describe
experiences and volunteer whatever advice they can for the community.
However, do keep in mind that some things folks might do (especially
folks in the minority population) are not things that they necessarily
want to talk about it public.

Of course.

For example, if some folks were helping
women off-list to deal with incidents of harassment or sexist behavior,
or simply poor treatment that seemed different than how males were
treated, they might not feel comfortable talking about that publicly
because it would bring up some thorny issues that are difficult to
discuss in private, let alone in public. And there are certainly other
things of less serious import that are still dicey to lay open in
public. So it's probably at least a bit pushy to individualize a message
saying "what are you doing to help?".

I see your point, however I really think it should go without saying that what you describe above isn't what I was referring to (assuming what you're describing is actually occurring at all).

To be totally clear, I'm interested in what the women actively involved in the IETF now are doing, have in mind to do, or think should be done to encourage more active participation by women; both those who are "involved" but not "active" currently, and those who have no current association with the IETF at all. As a PWM I would not want to presume to tell women how to best get other women involved, I think it's much better to hear it from them.

Doug