Re: SHOULD and RECOMMENDED

2013-06-24 15:22:09
On 6/24/13 2:08 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:
I expect that the subtle differences between these words are lost on
non-native speakers, and even most native speakers, of English. I'd be
genuinely curious to hear that you think the distinct meanings are.

I suspect you are wrong...

In your implication that there is /any/ meaningful distinction made by
native English speakers when reading an RFC...

For the times I've seen the different words used normatively in RFC, I
have not discerned any semantic difference.

I agree. (It would have been better for me to say "subtle differences,
if any".)

I'm open to an argument that in standard English "should" has a shade of
obligation and "recommended" has a shade of suggestion, but in practice
(especially in RFCs) those shades are lost.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/