Re: SHOULD and RECOMMENDED

2013-06-22 13:37:13
Hi,

I think there are far too many debates on RFC2119 semantics and I think it can be reduced by focusing on better technical protocol writing skills. A simple recommendation to always include (if possible) a Minimum Requirements table or section can go a long way in removing ambiguity. Some of these docs are just too verbose and design concepts too spread out to extract all that is needed. Too easy to have semantic conflicts. Things are missed or fall thru the crack.

It should be possible to have an automated RFC parser that pulls and extracts the minimum protocol framework configuration. Its been done since the 80s with automated configuration/fitting tools. It can be done with IETF protocols as well, perhaps if only to extract a minimum requirements table.

Personally, I think RECOMMENDED is closer to a SHOULD than MAY. IMV, a SHOULD is a RECOMMENDED, yet still OPTIONAL mode of operation. So I agree the term RECOMMENDED can be used to inform readers what is the preferred mode of operation. I personally view it as a DEFAULT ON condition where it is programmed for local policy to decide, but it is ON out of the box because of the RECOMMENDED mode of operation. A MAY on the other hand is also possible recommendation, but I see it as a DEFAULT OFF or ON condition.

   [o] SHOULD OPTION
   [_] MAY OPTION

None of this is concrete of cause, but it should be easier if authors were better skilled in writing more precise technical requirements outlines to reduce the ambiguity and debates.

--
HLS