Re: SHOULD and RECOMMENDED

2013-06-24 13:54:21

On 6/24/2013 8:39 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
--On Monday, June 24, 2013 07:52 -0400 Phillip Hallam-Baker
<hallam(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

They are not synonyms

Lets go back to 1980:

Implementations SHOULD support DES
vs
RECOMMENDED encryption algorithms: DES, IDEA

Actually, that is the point.  The usage above, although much
earlier, reflects the Protocol Specification/ Applicability
Statement split rather well.

But 2119's language makes the two terms substitutable for and
equivalent to each other, which is about as close a definition
of "synonyms" as one can find.  What I said is that making them
equivalent was probably a mistake and that treating them that
was should be discouraged. Others expressed agreement with that
assessment.

Personally, I don't think the problem is severe enough to reopen
2119.  If others disagree and believe that 2119 is generating
enough problems to be worth an update, I await a draft.

So, other than quibbling about the "synonym" issue -- not
generally, which no one has claimed, but in context with 2119--
are you disagreeing and, if so, about what?

    john

In my view, a SHOULD is just a highly RECOMMENDED mode of operation, the preferred mode, the mode that SHOULD be enabled out of the box.

The conflicts I see is whether the usage of a SHOULD means it really is a MUST be implemented as described and the exception is when there is no other alternative available. A common reference is use EHLO first, fallback to HELO.

What is often forgotten is the ON/OFF configuration aspect. So even if there is a MUST implement SHOULD thinking, the question is whether there is an allowance to disable or turn off the feature, i.e. can an SMTP server disable EHLO and operate in pure RFC821 (STD10) mode? The answer to the question is yes, its possible, and therefore all implementations MUST be ready in operate in SMTP (821) mode FIRST, ESMTP mode second.

I think the dilemma is that we have new integration needs and in some cases, one protocol or set of integrated protocols simple works better when a traditional optional technology i.e. SMTP extension, is used. So there is a mindset, it seems, a SHOULD is really a MUST and only under extreme situations, the alternative can be used, if presented.

--
HLS