Re: SHOULD and RECOMMENDED

2013-06-25 13:13:40
On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Hector Santos <hsantos(_at_)isdg(_dot_)net>
wrote:
To me, it only matters in terms of implementation - should we waste time and
money on implementing a SHOULD/RECOMMENDED feature?  Is it required to be
coded?  Can it be delayed, for version 2.0?  Is it really needed,

Every vendor goes through that decision process.  Some operators make
SHOULDs required in their RFIs.  The IETF WG decides on what it feels
is a necessary level of interoperability and leaves the rest up to
them.  The IETF is not going to make decisions for you about things it
thinks are optional.

competitively? Will something break if we don't add it?

If leaving it out breaks something that's required, then it should be
a MUST and you should (not must) say so.