Re: SHOULD and RECOMMENDED

2013-06-26 19:27:04
In English as it is commonly spoken "recommended," and "should" do indeed mean different things. Arguably it's unfortunate that 2119 conflated them, but that's the landscape we're living in.

So if the question is, "How do we improve the normative language in RFCs?" we should probably be thinking along the lines of giving more details about the conditions related to the things should/recommended apply to. I think it was Brian that said a while back that there should never be a SHOULD in a doc without an accompanied "unless ..." that spells out when the SHOULD can safely not be followed. It's not hard to imagine a similar guideline for "RECOMMENDED, because ..." that explains why something is recommended, and ideally also spells out the consequences if it is not done.

The idea being that 10 years from now a document can stand on its own as the repository of information about the topic it describes without having to fall back on WG discussions, anecdotes, etc. Another way to look at it is to ask the question, "Does this document have everything necessary for someone to create an interoperable implementation from scratch?"

thoughts?

Doug