Re: IETF registration fee?

2013-07-12 08:47:13
To be clear here, I do not think the IETF conference fee to be at all
unreasonable. I have paid it out of my own pocket on occasion.

My concern here is that arguments of the form 'we can't change the
conference model because IETF needs the money' will lead to disaster. The
Internet is changing a lot of business models at the moment and there is a
lot more destruction going on than creation. It is quite likely that at
some points over the next 10-20 years the conferences will lose money. We
might even be at that point already since the profitability is largely
dependent on getting sponsors and the sponsors are paying to support the
IETF not the meetings.

The world looks very different today than 30 years ago and not just because
there is no Soviet Union. Most of the changes of the last 20 years are
actually the consequences of container freight rather than the Internet.
The dotcom businesses were all about moving atoms, not bits.

The Internet effects are only just starting to be felt. The Internet is
movement of information and we have yet to see the type of major industrial
restructuring in the knowledge industries. Container freight and barcodes
are the reasons that all those mom and pop stationary suppliers were
replaced by Staples and Office Max. We haven't yet seen all those hundreds
of tier 3 universities replaced by franchises affiliated with the big name
universities like MIT, Stanford and the rest. But that is going to happen.

The IETF actually has a perfectly logical business model. ISOC collects a
rent off .org which provides several million a year in income which has to
be spent somehow and the IETF is an activity of ISOC.

Now that is not an argument for 'problem solved' but it is an argument that
the IETF is not forced to keep the conference funding model untouched for
fear of breaking the business model.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 12:27 AM, Abdussalam Baryun <