RE: IETF registration fee?

2013-07-10 16:12:04
As someone who during iSCSI development attended just to attend that group, I
didn't find IETF to be single day attendance friendly and I don't think that
day passes change that substantially.

The main problem is that the final agenda isn't published until a little more
than 3 weeks before the meeting so attending for a single day means waiting to
make travel reservations late enough that it may be difficult to get a good
airfare (and either booking the hotel for more days and reducing the
reservation when one knows what day one is interested in or getting a hotel
after the IETF hotel blocks are full).

While generally IETF is helped by cross pollination and multi-day attendance is
a good thing to encourage, there are times when the work of a particular group
is helped by the attendance of some subject matter experts who are only
interested in the topic of that group and who would not be willing or able to
attend for the week. A day pass at around 1/2 the full week registration fee
does something for the one day attendee while still encouraging full
attendance.

That seems to be a reasonable compromise to me - though given the choice
between having a stable agenda more than a month before the meeting and a day
pass, I think the former would be more helpful for single subject attendees.

Regards,
Pat