Re: Last call: draft-montemurro-gsma-imei-urn-16.txt

2013-07-19 18:04:30
Hm, I confess that I searched the text of the draft for the word “privacy”
and jumped to conclusions upon seeing no matches.  Probably a good idea to
work it in for impatient folk like me.

I would expand that section to point out that since the IMEI survives
device wipes and changes of possession, it shouldn’t be assumed to identify
a person.

And I really wouldn’t ever expose an IMEI at the application level, but
maybe it’s appropriate at the level this draft is addressing.  We had
endless nightmares, not only because of the wipe-survival, but because app
code would try to run on a device that didn't have an IMEI and crash, and
so on.  -T

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Andrew Allen