Re: Last call: draft-montemurro-gsma-imei-urn-16.txt

2013-07-19 18:16:24

On 07/19/2013 11:53 PM, Andrew Allen wrote:
the IMEI URN MUST NOT be included in messages intended to convey any level of
anonymity

That seems both perfect RFC 6919 fodder and disingenuous at
the same time (how can a message convey a level of anonymity?).

I need to read the draft but this seems like it only has
downsides from a privacy perspective. So I'd hope there
are compelling functional reasons to want it that outweigh
the privacy downside.

IMEIs are very pervasive, carried around by 100's of millions
of people and generally not intended to be shared with the
Internet.

S.