Re: Last call: draft-montemurro-gsma-imei-urn-16.txt

2013-07-20 17:35:07

Martin

There are obviously always alternative design choices but why would you want to
include both a pre assigned device ID and a generated device ID in the same
message?

Andrew

----- Original Message -----
From: Martin Thomson [mailto:martin(_dot_)thomson(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2013 11:25 AM Central Standard Time
To: Andrew Allen
Cc: tbray(_at_)textuality(_dot_)com <tbray(_at_)textuality(_dot_)com>;
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Subject: Re: Last call: draft-montemurro-gsma-imei-urn-16.txt

On 19 July 2013 08:38, Andrew Allen <aallen(_at_)blackberry(_dot_)com> wrote:

I suggest you also read
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-allen-dispatch-imei-urn-as-instanceid/

I read that document.  The placement of IMEI in the instance id is a
little bit of a non-sequitur to my thinking.

There are three cases identified where it might be necessary to convey
an IMEI, but no real motivation is provided for why it has to be
included, specifically, in the instance ID.  Nor is it the case that
all of these cases necessarily require that IMEI is conveyed in the
clear.  I can imagine solutions to the real problems that do not
require that an IMEI transit the network.

However, I'll concede that the relationship between a network provider
and the devices that use the network does not necessarily grant those
devices any right protections of the form in which Tim seems to be
assuming to be necessary.  The real risk here is with scope of use.

I'd have thought that a P- header would have been more appropriate for
these use cases.

solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute non-public
information. Any use of this information by anyone other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately reply to the sender and delete this information from your
system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this transmission
by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.