Re: [Trustees] The Trust Agreement

2013-08-03 21:11:06
Jorge,

Thanks for the careful explanations. My only quibble is whether the phrase
"other than rights in IETF standards-related documents (such as RFCs,
Internet Drafts and the like)" actually excludes the Tao, which is not
a standards document, but is very relevant to the standards process
and was an RFC in earlier forms. The web page version is clearly
a derivative work of the preceding RFC. However, I can see this being a
problem some time in the future, even if the Tao squeezed past.

For issues #1 and #3, I can see the case for a cautious procedure
for exceptions to the current restrictions. Clearly the Trust shouldn't
have blanket permission to abandon or dispose of assets (except if the
IETF itself winds up, which I believe is already covered).

As for the physical property issue #2 I can see that there's an
inconsistency but (IMHO) we need to be sure that any change is fully
consistent with BCP 101. To be specific, RFC 4371 says:

   A Trust ("the IETF Trust") has been formed for the purpose of
   acquiring, holding, maintaining, and licensing certain existing and
   future intellectual property and other property used in connection
   with the administration of the IETF.

If we are picky, we'd need to slightly modfiy that sentence if
the Trust has the right to abandon or dispose of assets.

Regards
   Brian