Re: [iaoc-rps] RPS Accessibility

2013-08-06 10:28:18
On 8/5/2013 2:15 AM, Dan York wrote:
On the topic of badge-sensing at the mic, I seem to recall that we had this
working at an IETF sometime back in the RAI working groups. It was maybe 4 or 5
years ago and I think it may have been some student(s) under Henning
Schulzrinne at Columbia... but I am not sure about that.  I remember that when
you went to the mic you put your badge up to this sensor and your name appeared
in the jabber room. We used it in several of the RAI sessions at that IETF.
Unfortunately I don't remember how well it worked or why it wasn't continued.
There may be someone out there who can provide some insight. (And if it was
Henning's students we can just drop him a note.)

It was an experiment. It was awkward and inaccurate. It also raised basic privacy concerns, what with wearing something that can be tracked as you move around.

An entirely different approach would be to have all speakers make a 'reservation' into a single meetecho (or whatever) online queue, and then get called in order, whether local or remote and independent of what microphone they are at. This gets accurate identification into the online system, with the entry task distributed.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking