Re: [iaoc-rps] RPS Accessibility

2013-08-06 13:13:49

On 2013-08-06, at 11:27, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

On 8/5/2013 2:15 AM, Dan York wrote:
[...]  I remember that when you went to the mic you put your badge up to
this sensor and your name appeared in the jabber room.

... and the main screen in the room, if we're thinking about the same
experiment. I seem to think it might have been in Hiroshima.

It was an experiment.  It was awkward and inaccurate.  It also raised basic
privacy concerns, what with wearing something that can be tracked as you move
around.

I thought it was less awkward and inaccurate than relying on poly-accented and
rushed (or missing) announcements of name and affiliation through the
microphone. It was an improvement for jabber scribes, wg chairs trying to do
minutes, remote participants and people in the room who are interested in who
is talking, but not interested enough to stand up and demand that the name and
affiliation be repeated.

I remember the privacy concerns being expressed, but I also have been
subscribed to more XXattendees mailing lists than I care to remember, and I had
compartmentalised both sets of complaints into the same bucket that usually
makes me unsubscribe from XXattendees by Tuesday.

The NFC badge idea was a good one, I think, and I think it should happen again
(even if it's opt-in at registration time, to reduce anxiety for those worried
about their loss of privacy in a public meeting.)

Or perhaps future IETFers.app releases could talk using bluetooth to a
transponder duct-taped to the mic stand and realise the same outcomes (and if
you don't like that, you can always touch "no" in the appropriate place on your
phone).

Joe