Re: Speaking of VAT

2013-08-07 21:10:43

On Aug 7, 2013, at 4:53 PM, Carsten Bormann <cabo(_at_)tzi(_dot_)org> wrote:

On Aug 4, 2013, at 22:11, John Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com> wrote:

At last week's very successful Berlin meeting, the finances were
thrown of whack by the late discovery that the IETF had to pay 19%
German VAT on the registration fee.  At the IAOC session they said
that about half of that is likely to be reclaimed from VAT paid, but
the net amount is still a large number.

I don't get it.

Given the above, the VAT adjustment is going to cost the IETF ~ 10 % revenue.

At the same time, the attendance increased by more than that.

What was thrown out of whack, please?

Grüße, Carsten

PS.: As a European attendee, of course I enjoy the ability to make a VAT
claim.
In effect, I'm recovering the VAT that IETF paid on goods and services in
Berlin, and that is exactly what the concept of VAT is about.

In effect you're getting a $103.78 reduction in your $650 registration fee.

 Raising the price to maintain net revenue at $650 would be disingenuous, as
the VAT recovered by the IETF is an additional source of income to the IETF
on top of that net revenue.

The VAT paid on the Registration Fees will be about $137,000 USD.

The VAT we expect to recover is about $65,000 USD after paying fees to a
service company to recover the VAT.

Ray
IAD