Re: Faraday cages...

2013-08-08 12:48:39
On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 8:17 PM, Christian Huitema
<huitema(_at_)microsoft(_dot_)com>wrote:

Unless we adopt the WIDE practice where the tag is re-used from
meeting to meeting. It's an elegant solution, and not that different
from the reason I own a complete set of Suica, Pasmo, ICOCA, PASPY and
London Oyster cards.

That is where I was going with that remark, yes.   :)

Why bother with RFID tags, or badges? Simply register with your cell
phone. We can then scan your Wi-Fi and Blue-Tooth signals when you approach
the mic.

-- Christian Huitema

'Simply'

What is this simple technology of which you speak? I find that the best we
can do with electronic systems is about 99% and that takes a huge amount of
effort. I have a whole drawerful of bluetooth headsets and thats where they
will stay because none of them works well enough to be useful.

I have the whole Apple/Nest/Sonos/Windows/etc suite in the house. The UI
sucks because my phone takes about 45 seconds to context switch to a new
applet. Often it takes a lot longer as the applet begs to be updated for no
particular reason.

If we want to do simple then use a BARCODE.

A webcam is cheaper and easier to come by than wireless scanning devices.
They are just as reliable and there is only one device with a source of
power involved. We could easily add QR codes to the front and rear of the
badges.

A side benefit would be that we also equip ourselves for showing video of
people at the mic at the same time (should that prove desirable).

No privacy issues, much more robust. It even deals with the issue I have
occasionally had where I have had a plane delay and gone straight from the
airport to a WG meeting before picking up my badge. Rare exceptions like
that are easy to declare, just state it in advance at the mic. I doubt the
RFID cars and the associated readers will work as well. Trying to reuse my
cell phone is an exercise in the crazy.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/