Re: Faraday cages...

2013-08-08 19:50:01
On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 8:31 PM, George Michaelson <ggm(_at_)algebras(_dot_)org>
wrote:

When next you walk into a target or big W, ask to see the conditions of
entry. Along with implied consent to have your bags checked at any time,
you have probably given consent to be video'ed and tracked at their behest.
The poster is on the wall somewhere usually. Your statutory rights cannot
be abrogated but equally, the grey areas have been 'informed'.

The efficacy of such notices has not been tested in court and when they are
tested it is likely to cost the target about $2 million+ in legal fees.

Since the IETF meets around the world the last thing we need is to spend
time checking the legality of the badge at the mic system. And even though
the IETF is not likely to be a target, I would hate to have some of the
less popular with governments organizations I am involved in copy what the
IETF does and then find themselves being targeted with a selective
prosecution.

Barcodes have the potential to work really well and require almost no
change from current practice. The only downside to a barcode is that they
are slightly easier to forge. Though in the IETF context, forgery would
likely consist of people copying other people's badges for fun rather than
to avoid paying.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/