Re: Faraday cages...

2013-08-07 15:27:53
On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Scott Brim
<scott(_dot_)brim(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Chris Elliott
<chelliot(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:
My wallet supposedly has a RFID-blocking layer, but I've not actually tested
it. I think the only RFID-capable thing in my wallet is my US passport.

Take a look at what's in your passport with an NFC tool.  For example,
you can retrieve the photo.

for US passports it seems you have to scan the inside of the back
cover, scanning from the outside doesn't find/activate the rfid token,
yes?

You also need to generate the key material to access the data (DOB +
expiry date of passport + passport number?)

I keep my passport in a "cage" when I'm not handing it to someone.
I'm not concerned about my phone.

it seems like simply not waving the passport around open is close to
good enough?
I recall seeing a blackhat/something-or-other demo with a briefcase
that'd read the token though? perhaps with enough wattage you can burn
through the rf shield in the cover?