Re: Community Input Sought on SOWs for RFC Production Center and RFC Publisher

2013-08-13 08:58:31
  http://iaoc.ietf.org/documents/RPC-Proposed-SoW-2013-final.doc

I know that I should not this, but... I am a bit surprised
(disappointed) in seeing a proprietary format used here.  I am not
saying that you should not use the Office suite to write it, but you
could convert it to PDF (better, PDF/A) before publishing it.

Anyway, I use Linux, so I guess I will not be able to give my input about it.

Hmmn.  Is there some reason you are unable to install OpenOffice?  It
opens and displays the SoW including the redline just fine.

I suppose she could have sent it out in OpenOffice's .odt format which
is nominally more open, but then the people who use MS Word (I hear
there are still a few of them) couldn't read it.  There's no great way
to send around a redlined document and I'd say that Word formats are
currently the least bad.  I presume you know that the more recent
.docx file format is ISO/IEC 29500, so that should make everyone
happy, modulo the detail that it's so complicated that in practice the
older nominally un-open .doc interoperates a lot more reliably.

R's,
John