Re: Last Call: <draft-bormann-cbor-04.txt> (Concise Binary Object Representation (CBOR)) to Proposed Standard

2013-08-14 08:08:06
On Aug 14, 2013, at 13:40, Randy Bush <randy(_at_)psg(_dot_)com> wrote:

YANG seems to be incompatible with CBOR.

so what does that say about yang, yang's suitability for netconf, cbor,
and cbor's suitability?

Good question.  I'm not sure the jury is even out on that yet.

Yaron reminded me that netconf is using XPath for various purposes, so a CBOR
rendition of netconf would need to do the same that you would need for doing
netconf with JSON: either replace XPath with something else (indeed causing
some incompatibility), or explain how to use XPath with the CBOR/JSON
translation of the YANG model (which might be interesting).

CBOR certainly has no trouble carrying around the data described by a YANG
model.
(Indeed, CBOR's decimal fractions were inspired by YANG's.)
But then, I don't have an opinion whether adding a binary object representation
to the netconf ecosystem is on the agenda.

Grüße, Carsten