Re: [IAB] Call for Review of draft-rfced-rfcxx00-retired, "List of Internet Official Protocol Standards: Replaced by an Online Database"

2013-08-16 12:56:37
SM:

This is a call for review of "List of Internet Official Protocol Standards:
Replaced by an Online Database" prior to potential approval as an IAB stream
RFC.

The document is available for inspection here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rfced-rfcxx00-retired/

From Section 2.1 of RFC 2026:

 'The status of Internet protocol and service specifications is
  summarized periodically in an RFC entitled "Internet Official
  Protocol Standards".'

My guess is that draft-rfced-rfcxx00-retired cannot update RFC 2026.  Does
the IAB have any objection if I do something about that?

This seems to require coordination with the General Area Director.  I suggest
that you ask Jari.

From Section 3:

 "This document formally retires STD 1.  Identifier STD 1 will not be
  re-used unless there is a future need to publish periodic snapshots
  of the Standards Track documents (i.e., unless the documentation is
  resumed)."

The document argues that STD 1 is historic as there is an online list now.
The above reserves an option to restart periodic snapshots if there is a
future need.  I suggest removing that option as I presume that the IAB has
thought carefully about the long term evolution of the Series before taking
the decision to retire STD 1.

I tend to agree.  I think the point is that STD 1 will not take on another
meaning.

Russ