Re: Call for Review of draft-rfced-rfcxx00-retired, "List of Internet Official Protocol Standards: Replaced by an Online Database"

2013-08-20 16:16:33
On 8/20/13 3:26 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
If the data is in a database then surely the production of RFC xx00 standards series is simply running an automated query on the database and emitting the result as an RFC?

I'm sure that such a tool could be created. To date, I believe the document was being built by hand.

However, the document hasn't been produced in over 5 years and nobody seems to miss it. The RFC Editor has indicated that they're not enthusiastic about keeping the document up to date given that there's a web page with that information that is getting good use. So the thinking behind the document I submitted was, "Let the RFC Editor off the hook. We, the IETF, don't need the RFC published separately anymore, so we should just say that."

I suppose if there's a real resurgence of sentiment that the RFC Editor should keep producing that document, we can tell the IAB that the IETF still really wants that document produced and send them off to write a tool that queries their database and auto-creates the RFC. In the absence of such sentiment, I think we should just use the web-based database and clean up the STD series as stated.

pr

Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478