Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-repute-query-http-09.txt> (A Reputation Query Protocol) to Proposed Standard

2013-08-21 02:56:25
At 23:53 20-08-2013, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
I don't believe so. The only cases we can think of are those where the supported application does or does not exist, and the service being queried does or does not have data about the subject. Elsewhere we describe that there's a specific mechanism to say in a valid reply that no data are available, so that handles the second question. You only get to the second question if the answer to the first is "yes", which leaves the first answer of "no" that needs handling specified.

Ok.

An operator that calculates reputation values on demand would conceivably give a new value for every query. If a client wants that up-to-the-moment accuracy, then Expires is counterproductive. On the other hand, an operator that calculates reputation values daily could indicate this by setting an Expires field of either a day (86400) or the total time between "now" and the next calculation.

The latter case is likely more prevalent, but it doesn't seem like saying "MUST" and requiring a value of 0 for the former case is strictly the right solution.

I see what you mean. The server-specified expiration (see RFC 2616) uses other headers as well.

Why is that?

The media type is "text/plain".

A client could support HTTP for the template retrieval but only HTTPS for the service itself, for all the usual privacy and security reasons.

Ok.

Any URI scheme is supported. Only HTTP/HTTPS are currently implemented at the moment.

Ok.

That's not "the" angle, it's one possible template.

Does it not qualify as a Proposed Standard? If not, why not? Will it fail to interoperate?

The quick answer is that I am not sure.  I'll defer to you.

Regards,
-sm