Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-repute-query-http-09.txt> (A Reputation Query Protocol) to Proposed Standard

2013-08-30 12:21:05
CR LF was first adopted for the Telnet NVT (Network Virtual Terminal). I think it was Jon Postel's choice, and no one disagreed. Then when FTP was defined, it seemed most economical to use the same. In fact, doesn't the FTP spec explicitly say that the conventions on the control connection should be those of Telnet? Later, when Jon defined SMTP, I am sure that Jon would not have dreamed of using different end-of-line conventions in different protocols.

I would hope that you would not dream of it, either.

Bob Braden

We can go with CRLF, since it's been pointed out to me that most text-based protocols have historically used that. Who am I to change history? :-)

-MSK