Re: Gen-ART LC review ofdraft-ietf-mpls-return-path-specified-lsp-ping-12

2013-08-29 10:35:23
Roni

I find it difficult to know whether to agree with you or not since there
is another "gorilla" operating in this namespace, namely
draft-andersson-mpls-lsp-ping-upd-00
which sort of gives the option of taking out the sub-TLV types of a TLV
Type into a separate registry which can then be referenced by the
specifications of several TLV Types.  This I-D formally calls for no
action by IANA, except that it implies a reorganisation of the
registries which IANA might well already have executed - certainly, the
registries no longer look the same as they did a few months ago although
that might also be a coincidence.

You make reference to the registry set up by RFC6426 but you should be
aware that what is now in the IANA registries is not what was there when
that RFC was approved; rather, it has changed as alluded to above..

If
draft-andersson-mpls-lsp-ping-upd-00
is approved, and my perception is that IANA assumes it has been, then
this, return-path I-D would appear to be barking up the wrong tree and
needs revising to reflect the new IANA structure, namely that it needs
to update
the title which already exists
Sub-TLVs for TLV Types 1 and 16
to become
Sub-TLVs for TLV Types 1 and 16 and 21
whereupon things start to fall into place

draft-andersson-mpls-lsp-ping-upd-00
also updates RFC4379 which, if accepted, means, I think, that this I-D
need not.

All very technically sound but we seem to have our processes upside
down.

There is of course a lengthy history to this that is not material to the
current discussion.

Tom Petch