Re: Bruce Schneier's Proposal to dedicate November meeting to saving the Internet from the NSA

2013-09-06 14:34:12
On 9/6/2013 11:42 AM, Dean Willis wrote:
On Sep 6, 2013, at 9:55 AM, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:
In other words, the IETF needs to assume that we don't know what
will work for end users and we need to therefore focus more on
processing by end /systems/ rather than end /users/.

But we are also end users.

Mostly we are /not/.

That is... of course we are end-users.  And to the extent that the
target market for something is users similar to "us", then fine.

The problem is when the target market is mass-market end-users.  The 3-4
billion other folk who don't participate in the IETF.  The average IETF
participant is  wildly different from the average mass-market end-user,
in many different ways.  Very many.

So, we could eat our own dogfood,

Oh we definitely /should/ eat our own dogfood.  If the stuff we produce
is not even usable for us, well then...  And I think we can learn quite
a bit of how to improve things.

But my deeper point is that that is nowhere close to sufficient, for
demonstrating mass-market usability or efficacy.