Re: Bruce Schneier's Proposal to dedicate November meeting to saving the Internet from the NSA

2013-09-06 07:08:42
On 06.09.2013 13:30, Stewart Bryant wrote:
Tell me what the IETF could be doing that it isn't already doing.
It really depends where you see the boundaries of the IETF.

For some the IETF only produces documents and that's it. Clearly, we have a lot of specification work ongoing in different areas that helps to mitigate various security vulnerabilities. This ranges from recent work on XMPP end-to-end security (as in http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-miller-3923bis-02) all the way to the recent RTCWEB discussions on using DTLS-SRTP as a key management protocol.

For other folks the IETF does much more, such as to reach out to those deploying our technology. Many folks involved in the IETF community produce open source code, write article in popular computer magazines explaining how to use the technology, give presentations at various conferences, teach at universities and research institutes, provide consulting, etc. The list is long.

It is obviously easier to write (security) documents but somewhat more complex to get them widely deployed. Example: TLS everywhere, DNSSEC, email security, routing security, etc.

While we are able to fill gaps in security protocols fairly quickly we don't always seem to make the right choices because the interests of various participants are not necessarily aligned. In general, we seem to develop an insecure version and a secure version of a protocol. Unfortunately, the insecure version gets widely deployed and we have an incredible hard time to introduce the secure version.

In addition to the specification work we could think about how to reach out to the broader Internet ecosystem a bit better. Since we have lots of folks in the IETF I don't think it is an impossible task but it might require a bit of coordination. Right now would be a good time to launch some of those initiatives since most people currently understand the need for security.

Ciao
Hannes