Re: decentralization of Internet (was Re: Bruce Schneier's Proposal to dedicate November meeting to saving the Internet from the NSA

2013-09-07 08:06:25
On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Noel Chiappa
<jnc(_at_)mercury(_dot_)lcs(_dot_)mit(_dot_)edu> wrote:
    > From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Roger_J=F8rgensen?= <rogerj(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>

    > The userbase and deployment are relative small atm so it's doable to
    > get fast deployment to.

Alas, now that I think about the practicalities.... I don't think the average
router has enough spare computing power to completely encrypt all the traffic.

I don't really see that as an issue, it's just a matter of engineering
and building
the router in a way that they can do it. AFAIK I think most routers have the
options of being extended by dedicated encrypt-all-traffic tasks? Probably some
changes needed on the software layer to use the extension but that's doable.

It is also just the situation right now on the router side. In general
should our
current technology and processing power be up for the job if needed.

Whether or not encrypting just the source+dest addresses, and the sort+dest
port (conviently next to each other in one block) is enough to do much good,
and if the average router has enough spare crunch to do even that, is a good
question.

Isn't the payload the important part to protect? the content of the package?

--

Roger Jorgensen           | ROJO9-RIPE
rogerj(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com          | - IPv6 is The Key!