Re: What real users think [was: Re: pgp signing in van]

2013-09-09 16:35:48
On Sep 9, 2013, at 5:25 PM, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:
 1.  Starting fresh means ceasing to interoperate (well) with Internet Mail.
We had quite a lot of exemplars of this when the Internet was starting to be
commercial; semantics matching was often awkward.

To be clear, what I would like to see in an MUA that addresses the use case
Brian described is that it is just a new mime encoding that allows a message to
be pieced together from a collection of signed attachments.   So in this
message, the mail would be encoded as two parts. The first would be the
complete message you wrote, with its signature.   The second would be the text
I have written here.   The quoted text above would be represented as a
reference to the attached message.

This should be very easy to accomplish in the UI—the UI should look exactly
like the current UI.   It's just a tweak to how copy, cut and paste work.

There's no reason to get rid of MIME—I think it's a pretty good solution.   I
mentioned the other solutions not because I prefer them but because they exist
and do demonstrate that replacements for IETF standards can and do catch on in
the marketplace, and that we ought not to just be smug about how great SMTP,
RFC822 and MIME are and pretend that we don't have competition.