Re: PS Characterization Clarified

2013-09-13 14:10:59
On Sep 13, 2013, at 20:50, Olaf Kolkman <olaf(_at_)NLnetLabs(_dot_)nl> wrote:

I am trying to see what one gets if one translates the fallacies into
positive actions, or answer the question on how do you cope with the fallacy.
I notice that your draft observes but doesn't seem to recommend.

Indeed, the 2011 document is heavy on diagnosis, and very light on therapy.
The hope was that "Selbsterkenntnis ist der erste Schritt zur Besserung"
(self-awareness is the first step to improvement), so it tries to create some
of that awareness.
How to go from personal awareness to organizational awareness is indeed the
question*).

Documenting the status quo *does* change the status quo, by making it more
rigid.
(Unless one also documents why exactly that wasn't intended.)

But my main point is that "Proposed Standard" is turning into a Procrustes bed,
and fixing that will require more work than section 4 seems to want making one
believe.

Grüße, Carsten

*) (Going through the process of turning that 2011 workshop submission into a
consensus RFC might be one step towards that, and I apologize for not having
attempted that yet.)