Re: ORCID - unique identifiers for contributors

2013-09-16 18:20:11
On 9/16/13 1:02 PM, Yoav Nir wrote:
If we use ORCID instead of email, we get less strong authentication.

That's not its job - it's there to distinguish between authors
with similar names.  As I understand the proposal the intent is
to have it provide additional information, not supplant anything.
There is currently no identifier that provides that kind of
discrimination.  I don't see any real downside to allowing
people who have ORCIDs to put them in IETF documents.  I'm not
sure there's a lot of demand for them (this is the first time
it's come up, as far as I know) but I don't see a problem with
plopping one more piece of information - one that has a unique
function - into our docs.

Melinda