Re: PS Characterization Clarified

2013-09-18 07:20:32

--On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 10:59 +0200 Olaf Kolkman
<olaf(_at_)NLnetLabs(_dot_)nl> wrote:

However, because the document will be read externally, I
prefer that it be "IETF" in all of the places you identify.
If we have to hold our noses and claim that the community
authorized the IESG actions by failing to appeal or to recall
the entire IESG, that would be true if unfortunate.  I would
not like to see anything in this document that appears to
authorize IESG actions or process changes in the future that
are not clearly authorized by community consensus regardless
of how we interpret what happened in the past.

But one of the things that we should try to maintain in making
that change is the notion that the IESG does  have a almost
key-role in doing technical review. You made the point that
that is an important distinction between 'us' and formal SDOs.

It doesn't affect the document but can we adjust or vocabulary
and thinking to use, e.g., "more traditional" rather than
"formal".  There is, IMO, too little that we do that is
"informal" any more, but that isn't the point.

Therefore I propose that that last occurrence reads:

I think that this language doesn't set precedence and doesn't
prescribe how the review is done, only that the IESG does do
review.

In full context:

    In fact, the IETF review is more extensive than that done
in other     SDOs owing to the cross-area technical review
performed by the     IETF,exemplified by technical review by
the full IESG  at last stage of     specification development.
That position is further strengthened     by the common
presence of interoperable running code and     implementation
before publication as a Proposed Standard.

Does that work?

The new sentence does work and is, IMO, excellent.

I may be partially responsible for the first sentence but, given
other comments, suggest that you at least insert "some" so that
it ends up being "...more extensive than that done in some other
SDOs owing...".  That makes it a tad less combative and avoids a
potentially-contentious argument about counterexamples.

The last sentence is probably ok although, if we were to do an
actual count, I'd guess that the fraction of Proposed Standards
for which implemented and interoperability-tested conforming
running code exists at the time of approval is somewhat less
than "common".

    john