Re: NOMCOM - Time-Critical - Final Call for Nominations

2013-10-17 17:10:01
On 17 Oct 2013 12:26, "joel jaeggli" <joelja(_at_)bogus(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Oct 17, 2013, at 9:02 AM, Dave Cridland <dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net>
wrote:
The only solution allowing independents to become an AD that I can see
would be for larger companies to partially or wholly sponsor slots and/or
particular individuals. If this were to happen, I think we'd get both more,
and more diverse, nominations; but I appreciate that like John's
suggestions, mine is unlikely to solve the problem this time around.

At the point where we pay people to occupy the role the nature of it
changes dramatically.

I hadn't thought about "we" paying, but I did think that organizations
sponsoring a slot, rather than an individual, would be better. That would
involve no influence over who was picked, even.

That said, I've no evidence that this would solve the problem anyway; it's
merely guesswork on my part, knowing that there exist good candidates who
are either self employed, or who do not have their employer's consent to
remain employed while being an AD.

Dave.