Re: NOMCOM - Time-Critical - Final Call for Nominations

2013-10-17 12:16:55
On Oct 17, 2013, at 1:11 PM, Melinda Shore
<melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
I suspect that there are companies out there who would view
this as giving them better "access" (i.e. the ability to apply
political pressure).  Not really very fond of this idea.

It would have to be a formal commitment of resources that couldn't be rescinded
for the duration of the AD's term.   I suppose there would still be the
possibility of the AD doing something to try to retain the position after the
end of the term, but I think the job is not so much fun that this would be a
real issue.   I think the current funding mechanism creates a much more
substantial possibility of companies thinking they will get "access," because
in fact they do.   I have heard of at least one former AD being influenced in
this way (no, I won't tell you which one, and I don't have proof that it
happened, just hearsay).