Re: CHANGE THE JOB (was Re: NOMCOM - Time-Critical - Final Call for Nominations)

2013-10-17 14:47:13
On Oct 17, 2013, at 3:37 PM, Brian E Carpenter
<brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
2B. Quickly replace failing WG Chairs.

You forgot "from a magical pool of better qualified WG chairs who have the time
and inclination to take on the work."   This is actually very similar to the AD
acquisition problem.

The IESG is actively interested in improving the situation (that is, reducing
the workload).   We'd like document shepherds to take on more responsibility at
the start, in the middle, and during the review process.   Sometimes we see
glimmerings of this happening.

But the bottom line is that the IETF is an all-volunteer organization.   ADs
wind up doing all the work because we've managed to convince our managers to
let us do IETF work full-time-ish.   Finding people onto who to offload work
who are both willing to do it and competent to do it is nontrivial.   Either
one or the other isn't so hard; both is hard.