Re: Proposed IETF Anti-Harassment Policy

2013-10-22 17:55:29
On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 10:33:37PM +0000, Ted Lemon wrote:

My reaction to this is that it seems to trivialize types of
real-world harassment that are quite common (although hopefully not
common in the IETF).  If this image were the worst "harassment" that
our ombudsperson had to deal with, that would seem to me to be very
good news indeed.

Actually, looking at the policy more closely, I believe it shouldn't
be a problem and Bjoern Hoehrmann's assertions are specious.  To quote
from the policy:

   Harassment is unwelcome hostile or intimidating behavior, in
   particular speech and behavior that is sexually aggressive or
   intimidates based on attributes like race, gender, religion, age,
   color, national origin, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation,
   or gender identity.

People who work at the NSA are not a protected class by the above
definition, so there would be no grounds for a complaint of
harassment.  Indeed, by this strict definition, even something like,

   "Actually, X, Y, and Z, means that that making change A to the spec
   would result in failure mode B, as any idiot could see."

... might not be professional language, but it wouldn't be harassment.

                                            - Ted