Re: IETF must use only UTC in its announcements (Was: Live Streaming of the IETF 88 Technical Plenary

2013-10-30 12:51:15
My experience with international organizations is that, when you
indicate the time in two zones, there is often a discrepancy. With
only one zone, there is no doubt about the real value.

I've basically given up asking people what time zone their schedule is
in, because most people have no idea, and don't understand that time
offsets vary from place to place and from one time of the year to
another, so the correct zone matters.

In San Francisco in July, they'll say PST.  Do you mean PDT?  Yes,
PST.  Or this call will be at 10:00 in New York, 11:00 in San Juan.
where the time is an hour ahead.  Uh, it's May and there's no daylight
time in Puerto Rico so the times are the same.  What?  Huh?

This problem is not helped by a widely used alleged calendar
application sold by a vendor located about 220 km south of Vancouver
that doesn't even try to get the time zones right.

The least broken approach I've found is to ask what place the time is.
If they say Vancouver, I can figure it out.

R's,
John