Re: Anti-harassment policy and ombudsperson

2013-11-03 17:35:55

On Nov 3, 2013, at 3:18 PM, John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com> wrote:

FWIW, I largely agree with Dave.  I think the motives here are
entirely appropriate, but the IESG's handing down dicta is
questionable -- and could be quite problematic if a situation
appeared to justify sanctions rather than just education.

To the extent to which there is concern in the community that
the IESG has become too large a job that thereby excludes people
who ought to be candidates (as suggested by other/earlier
threads), the community should be consulted on whether these are
good tasks for the IESG to take on, independent of the details
of the documents.    It may also be useful to remind people who
are convinced that the IESG has consistently gotten these sorts
of things either right or wrong that this is the right season
for explaining one's position to the Nomcom.

In effect I believe we’re delegating. so if you believe we’re doing to much you
should account for that.

A less temporary construct of the ombudsman should be expected construct more
explicit policy around their way of working, I don’t think it’s a good idea for
non-experts (myself included) to spend a lot of time on that until there is one
for us to consider.

I believe that the IESG can get this wrong, which is why we shouldn’t be
dictating the detailed mechanics.

best,
  john

--On Sunday, 03 November, 2013 14:55 -0800 Dave Crocker