Re: future of identifiers

2013-11-05 20:31:47
On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 8:36 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker
<hallam(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>wrote:

But another way to look at an IPv6 address is that it is a 64 bit address
and a 96 bit port space.

64+16 = 80, I can't count.

Point is that if only 64 bits are being routed on the public internet and
the rest are reserved for 'LAN' use, the uses people find for the lower
order bits of the address space may be very different from those the IPv6
designers anticipated.

Ports and local address space are fungible to a degree, if I run out of
ports I can ask for more local addresses.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/