Re: future of identifiers

2013-11-06 01:32:49

On Nov 5, 2013, at 6:54 PM, Toerless Eckert <eckert(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

Would be nice though if the concept of anonymous identy was better
embodies in the IETF architecture.

Yes. That said, an identity identifies what someone thinks it identifies.
Suppose you had a gold wrist band of a particular style; it might be emblematic
of you. But suppose that you had gotten it as a member of some group, all of
whom received it; while I might think of it as emblematic of you, it would
actually only identify a member of that group.

An anonymous identity, I suspect, is indistinguishable from any other identity
in type. But it might be something that is advertised as valid but not
associated with an individual (suppose we had a PGP key for
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org?) or one that is shared by a set of actors.